[pct-l] starting from walker pass in late june?

Sue Kettles sue.kettles at comcast.net
Sun Jan 29 20:21:27 CST 2012

I bet there are a lot of fun bear stories at Joshua Tree Spring.  When my
friend and I arrived there - August - hot day, and thirsty and super
tired... we found the shade wonderful and laid down and took a short, sweet
nap.  When I woke up, I meandered a few yards down to the spring and sat
down on the rock to get the piped water.  As I looked to my right, I saw
that a rattle snake was trying to slither away from my rock I was sitting
on.  I guess I interrupted his nap, or maybe his hunting grounds (foolish of
me not to have seen him - I just wasn’t thinking very snake smart).  I
jumped up and started yelling to my partner "rattlesnake - you gotta come
look"... and as I was shrieking those words, I must have woke up the bear
that had been sleeping in the tree above us... cause now we were watching
the snake move slowly away AND the bear coming down out of the tree.  He was
a junior bear - and just walked slowly down to the spring and kept walking
out of the area.  I'm sure my noise annoyed him.  My hiking friend and I
just looked at each other and were wondering...with big smiles.... did that
just happen?
I feel so blessed and fortunate to witness the things I have seen.

SS/HJ