[pct-l] Rest Periods During A Thru-Hike

Scott Williams baidarker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 22:55:12 CST 2012

You'll find a rhythm for what you need.  I hiked a bit slower than the
younger folks I kept up with, but they took many more breaks than I
needed.  Usually I'd hike from 5:30am to noon and we'd all be at the same
place and have lunch together.  Then I'd hike until dinner and camp, or
dinner and walk further and then camp.  They'd usually beat me to the camp
spot, but not always.  If it was cold and rainy, I'd usually just walk at a
moderate pace from morning to night eating lunch while walking.  Your legs
get stronger than you could ever believe, and you just don't need the rest
as much as you think you do at this point.  To start with, just stop when
you're tired and you'll find those walking times in between getting longer
and longer.  Certainly if you hike hard, you'll need more rest than at my
geezerly, easy pace.  Even then, we knocked out some great mileage, day
after day for months.  It's really incredible.  We are the walking animal!!

Shroomer