[pct-l] Rest Periods During A Thru-Hike

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 20:46:12 CST 2012

For us:

SoCal breaks:
*When we were tired
*At 1 when it was just too hot to keep going until 4

Sierra breaks:
*When we were tired
*When we were like, "holy @$&!, we have to do that next?"
*At tops of passes
*At lakes

After Sierra schedule (this was our GROOVE):
*start 6-7 am
*walk til 10ish
*30 min break
*walk til lunch (between 12 and 1)
*1-1.5 hour lunch break, nap optional
*walk for at least 2 hours
*15 minute break
*walk at least 2 more hours
*15 minute break
*continue until 7-8 pm
*eat, sleep, hangout, repeat

Everybody has their own groove. Most people started earlier than us and
stopped for their morning break before us, which was nice because we would
run into people while they were breaking. Some people didn't take breaks at
all, even when eating, they just walked slow so they could keep going all
day. That worked for them, wouldn't work for me.

A couple of tips:
1. Good things happen at roads.
2. Take your shoes off at breaks. Don't be lazy. Take care of your feet.