[pct-l] Rest Periods During A Thru-Hike

mark utzman blackbelthiker at gmail.com
Tue Jan 24 18:25:33 CST 2012

Hello Everyone,

    I understand the concept of HYOH, I am just trying to learn from
experienced thru-hikers how they do things. How often do you, on average,
take breaks from walking? Every hour, every two hours, etc.  If I was to,
lets say, walk for 2 hours, then take a 10 or 15 minute break, and do that
every 2 hours, is that reasonable? Or are you powerhiking 4-5 hours at a
stretch to get your miles in for the day? Yes, you guessed it, I'm an
inexperienced long distance backpacker, but as I have said, I WANT TO LEARN
FROM YOU.  Taking frequent breaks is, I think, going to be an important
strategy for me to be able to pull this thru-hike off, unless taking too
many breaks will take TOO MUCH time to complete such a hike. I appreciate
any and all responses. Thank you,  Mark