[pct-l] Rain Jacket

Hayden Wilson hydnwilson at hotmail.com
Mon Jan 23 13:01:03 CST 2012

A new PreCip beads water like a newly waxed car hood, or like the proverbial duck's back.  However, by the time that you get to Cascade Locks or into the winter rains of the Smokies on an AT SOBO hike it is more like a sponge.  That waterproof breathable finish on the outer nylon layer just wears off.  I always thought that it was hard for the inner breathable laminate to "breath" through a layer of soaked nylon.  I wonder if the mixed reviews that the PreCip gets aren't affected by the wear on the DWR finish.  After all, we talk about this jacket more that others mainly because it is so popular on all the trails; reasonable price, weight, and features.

My own take on this is that in addition to the "keep it clean" advice that others have given that all of these single layer laminates just need to be recoated with Nikwax waterproof breathable treatment or a similar product sometime during a thruhike.  This seems especially true when the jackets get a lot of use.  After all, four to six months of regular use is more than most people give their gear in a lifetime.

Hayden Wilson
Birdnut