[pct-l] PCT Maps (Without bickering)

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 17 20:26:47 CST 2012

I agree with you, Alan.

Was the flower you saw that amazing yucca? Nolina paryi, I think? I
took many pictures of those. What an amazing flower!

I loved being able to wonder, "Hmm, what is that?" and find the
answer in the book. Sometimes the answer wasn't there so I wrote to
ask. What are those strange, bent-over trees coming down to Etna
Summit? I even got an answer (I think it was mountain mahogany but
now I don't remember.) I'll always be able to recognize Sitka spruce
thanks to the book. I never would have known those ugly trees near
Canada were beautiful tamarack.

I often felt like the guide book author was my invisible partner on
the trail. He made me laugh by telling me my pace would quicken as I
pondered some volcano about to erupt or cliff about to fall on me. I
cursed him to hell when he told me somewhere north of Mt. Hood the
way was mostly downhill and then he made me climb for two friggin'
miles before there was any downhill at all! How could he say that
with a straight face? Ah, the guide book. The Book of Lies. My hikes
wouldn't have been the same without it.