[pct-l] Tent vs Bivy Sack

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Tue Jan 17 20:05:52 CST 2012

Tim, the purpose of the tent is to keep the weather off of you, not
keep you warm. Air is supposed to blow gently through. It keeps you
from being trapped inside what would otherwise be a plastic bag
raining from the inside from moisture consolidated from your breath
and body heat.  Your sleeping bag is what keeps you warm. Keep your
tent and get a better, warmer sleeping bag. A 15-20 degree bag with
top-quality down will do the job and on the colder nights, you can
wear your down jacket and even your rain gear. Also, you will adapt a
lot while on the trail. Cold won't seem so cold and indoors will seem
hot and stuffy.