[pct-l] Tent vs Bivy Sack

Paul Bodnar paulbodnar at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 17 12:47:17 CST 2012

> Does anyone have any wisdom related to using a bivy sack rather than a tent?

I used a bivy sack (MSR-E-bivy, 9 ounces) and a ultralite poncho (8 ounces) for my entire 2010 thru-hike.  However, I don't recommend this type of setup for most hikers.  Using a bivy requires a little more planning than using a tent.

Humidity is the number one enemy when using a bivy sack.  When the dew point is reached (typically in early morning hours) water can collect on the bivy.   When water collects on the outside of the bivy then the moisture inside the bag can no longer escape causing water to accumulate on the sleeping bag.  The humidity problem can be reduced significantly by setting up the bivy correctly.   Most of the time in southern California one can simply set up the bivy under a tree to reduce dew collection on the outside of the bivy.  In times of possible rain or heavy humidity it is best to set up a poncho over the bivy like a small tent or lean-to.  When it rains for days it is almost impossible to keep the sleeping bag dry using a bivy.  I would have really enjoyed a tent in northern Oregon and Washington and therefore I can not recommend a bivy for a thru-hike.

Paul

HikeThru.com
PocketPCT