[pct-l] Tent vs Bivy Sack

shon mcganty smcganty at yahoo.com
Tue Jan 17 11:50:00 CST 2012

Considering a bivy?  My advice, RUN AWAY.

I've hiked a few thousand miles with a bivy sack as my only shelter, and have found it to be very inadequate to keep you dry and warm.
 I've used two different bivy sacks, hiking across Japan in the rainy months July and August (and typhoon season of September), and hiking in Washington during rain storms, and during pooring rain I have gotten completely, thoroughly, socking wet!  And very cold!  Even if it doesn't rain, the condensation along the inside wall of the bivy will slightly dampen your bag.  OK for one night, but after night after night you may get wetter and wetter if you don't get a chance to dry it out during the day.  But in the rain with a bivy, my sleeping bag has been as wet as a towel thrown in the lake.  Try sleeping in that.

A bivy may have some utility, as I still use them, but only under limited conditions.  If I take a bivy, it's to add a little warmth and wind protection under my tarp.  I have used a bivy alone in the winter and dry nights, and wake up to find ice crystals just like you did on your tent wall,  But unlike a tent, the icy was up against my bag, keeping me cooler and when melted, it got me wet.
In my opinion, the ice crystals on the inside of the tent wall is something that's normal in cold conditions.  As long as you are dry, wetness or ice along the tent wall is to be expected.  If you sleep cold, the first two things to consider is the sleeping bag and what is under you.