[pct-l] ankle strengthening

juma juma3 at cox.net
Mon Jan 16 06:56:47 CST 2012

I have had floppy ankles as well.  I remember the first time I hiked a
few miles in the GSNP, I fell down twice when an ankle let loose for no
reason that I could tell.  I had tried exercises over the years but they
never seemed to do much for me.  Now, I can hike all day in trail
runners with a 35 pound pack and have no problems.  I got prolotherapy
in my ankles from a MD specializing in Physical Medicine and
Rehabilitation.  I've hike 2000+ miles in the last 3 years and have had
no sprains or ankle looseness.  Many times, I've felt my ankles start to
bow out from a step on uneven ground or rocks and then catch and come
back into line by there sheer strength.  Prolotherapy is injecting into
the tendons your own platelet rich plasma made from your own blood.
This causes an inflammation that causes a proliferation of your tendon
membranes - they get bigger and stronger.  You have to take it easy for
a couple of weeks after the injections and let the swelling go down on
its own -- no painkillers or anti-inflammatory drugs.  It will cost
about $600-$800 for each treatment and you will need at least 2 per
ankle.  Insurance will not cover the procedure.  The procedure is
effective about 80 percent of the time.  If you are a "good healer" in
that you heal without much scarring, you will probably do well with
Prolo.