[pct-l] Tyvek

Edward Anderson mendoridered at yahoo.com
Sat Jan 14 09:30:55 CST 2012

Lisa,
I also use Tyvek under my tent. I use it as a protective layer to help protect the layers above it. If you cut it to the same dimensions as the foot print of your tent, then bend the corners and then add a grommet in each you have that extra protection. Then you can stake it when you stake the footprint. I first prepare the ground at the spot that I have selected for the tent. I look carefully for anything sharp that might get through to puncture my 47"x20"x1.5" Thermorest Neo-Air self inflating air mattress. I often also use my digging trough to identify small rocks by sweeping the spot with a windshield wiper action with the back of the trowel - the "clicks" indicate the rocks. I have never had a puncture. I don't always set up the tent. Sometimes I just use the Tyvek and footprint.  For a thru hike you would probably want to send an extra Tyvek with your resupplies somewhere about half way through
MendoRider-Hiker