[pct-l] Using a GPS on a low snow year

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Wed Jan 11 19:17:01 CST 2012

You never "need" a gps.  But one can be helpful, fun and on some occasions it can save your bacon or at the very least make route finding more "findable".  It does come in handy when two sets of tracks appear ahead in the middle of a snow field or trying to take an alternate route.

Best gps story for this is when I had to bail (knee issue) in the backcountry of Montana.  I knew where I was on the map and my map even showed me that there were several connecting trails in the area.  I checked the trails on my gps to see which trail would take me to civilization.  The best option was to back track about a mile then head east to a FS road that connected to a nearby campground.  Two miles later I crossed the road just as a car was heading my direction.  Can a gps be helpful....yes. Can a gps get you a ride in the middle of nowhere.....nope. That is trail magic.

That said, my latest gps of choice is the new Garmin Etrex 20 (or Etrex 30).  Light and you can load topo maps.  Get the topo 100k on the DVD for full feature computer and gps map enjoyment!  Load your favorite trail track and or waypoints (like HalfMiles for instance) and  get out there and hike.

I really enjoy taking waypoint readings for interesting sites and my camps.  Then revisiting later on Google Earth to see what I did.  Plus it is handy for matching up photos and locations.

StarMan ( a tech geek)

Sent from my iPad