[pct-l] GPS Recommendation

Frank Gilliland frankgilliland at gmail.com
Mon Jan 9 12:39:54 CST 2012

I really like the form factor (size and weight) of the new Garmin eTrex 20.  For telling you where you are and simple back tracking, most any modern gps will work.  The big negative of all of the Garmin gps units is dealing with the maps.  A few units come with a topo map, most only a very, very basic base map.  Do the research on what map is best.  For all of my use the topo 100k does just fine.  The 24k series is both expensive and mostly overkill.  I like the DVD version of the map, so that you can both load the maps onto your gps and also have access on your pc or Mac with the Basecamp program.  If you get.   the sd card preprogrammed map, you loose the storage expandability of the sd card slot.

StarMan

Sent from my iPad