[pct-l] Blisters

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Sun Jan 8 14:37:06 CST 2012

Hi---

I think you need to buy new shoes after you have done 400 miles in the
old ones. That sounds like the main problem--your shoes were ok for 400
miles. I was planning on using one pair of shoes for 1000 miles of
trail, but after I developed very sore feet bottoms at the end of 500
miles I ordered a new pair of shoes from the trail. Now I only use my
shoes for 500 miles and buy new ones.

I also used to wear expensive orthotics but now use off the shelf
insoles called "Yoursoles"--they are padded and have a great arch
support. They are pricey ($35), but worth every penny. I put in a Dr.
Scholl's gel heel pad in my left footbed to alleviate sensitivity there.
I also now wear men's size 9 1/2 shoes--up from women's size 8 1/2.

I don't get blisters anymore now that I change my shoes after 500 miles
and wear larger sizes. I also wear a thin synthetic liner socks under my
regular hiking socks--that provides more tolerance of sock slippage in
the shoe.

I am a 59 year old female and hike with a 20-30 pound pack, doing 12-20
mile days at a 1.8 to 2.5 mile an hour pace. Good luck.

--Fireweed