[pct-l] 2012 Hike Planning Session: 10 Questions

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 8 13:42:31 CST 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 9:43 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> 1. I currently have a Kelty Mount Shasta 20 degree bag.
It is colder in So Cal than anywhere else on the trail, with the
exception perhaps of some canyons/meadows in the High Sierra.

> 2. My tent is a Eureka Solitaire one-person.
Staked tents will not be a problem.

> 3. Is four liters of water storage enough?
If that is enough for an entire 24 hours, it is enough. Platypus
containers roll up small in case you want insurance.

> 4. Waterproof matches or magnesium fire starter?
Striking a spark into the air is a fire risk in So Cal. It is very
windy in So Cal.

> 5. I'm planning on going without a stove;
Keep a stove in your bounce box in case you decide you hate
stoveless. As a general rule, keep an X in your bounce box in case
you hate Y. A bounce box can just be a priority mail box you put X
into just to see if you might prefer Y. Send the box ahead to the
next town where you can decide if your experiment with Y was successful.

> 6. As for clothing:
One uniform, nothing else. You can dry yourself in a few minutes just
sitting in the sun.

> 9. Any reason that a simple single-blade folding knife would not be
> enough?
No reason.

> 10. Currently, my bag and all my gear, not including clothes, water or
> food, is 21 pounds.
Reduce weight on every individual item by examining it closely,
seeing if there is anything at all you can cut off or alter.
Determine if you can replace items with something else, perhaps
making something out of things around the house, garage or in your
recycle bin. Can you replace your pot lid with foil? Your pot-grabber
with a piece of cloth or leather? Leave the sponge and washing stuff
home and just lick your pot clean? Put your lotions and potions into
tiny Visine or other bottles? Cut off attached stuff-sacks? Throw
away all stuff sacks except the one that holds those tiny items? Cut
a little length off your pad? Wear short sleeves and carry extra
sleeves you can attach rather than a whole long-sleeved shirt. Get
creative! Do whatever you can.

Then use the US mail to send all the crap you never use home or ahead
on the trail as you hike.