[pct-l] Blisters

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sun Jan 8 13:28:10 CST 2012

On Jan 8, 2012, at 9:43 AM, pct-l-request at backcountry.net wrote:

> Hi Folks,? Last September I attempted a through hike of the JMT.?
> Prior to my hike I had asked for some advice concerning my Morton's
> Neuroma and as a consequence, I bought some shoes that were a good
> size larger than I normally wear.?
> On day six of my JMT hike (dropping down into Red's Meadow) I began
> to develope some very serious blisters.? I'm not talking about
> little blisters, these covered both balls of my feet.? By the time
> I hobbled into the campground, I was in serious trouble.

I have very wide feet and had Morton's Neuroma in my wider foot and
have had to resort to shoes 3-4 sizes too big. Of course, the trade-
off is your feet slide around and you can get big blisters on the
ball of your foot. I prevent my feet from sliding by having a rubber
surface to stand on. I've used insoles rubber-side up. For example,
the Spenco insoles (the green ones) have rubber on one side and
fabric on the other. I put the rubber side up. I use the ones that
are very thin and flat so I can rest them on top of other insoles if
necessary. The green side up will give me blisters as my feet will
slip on the fabric.