[pct-l] your experiences with fear on the trail

Hillary Schwirtlich hillary.schwirtlich at gmail.com
Mon Jan 2 20:18:43 CST 2012

My scariest moments were usually fears having to do with people that were
totally unwarranted. I would get nervous when we camped somewhere where
people could easily drive up, like under the I-5 overpass after Fuller
Ridge, and then once in NoCal when we camped at the end of a dirt road near
a spring, or when we slept next to the Wind River Highway. A thought (like
"the Zodiac killer") would pop into my head and then I'd have trouble
calming myself down. Needless to say, nothing happened.

The rivers were scary and all, and Mather was sketchy, and being near
hypothermia in northern Washington was pretty scary, but I usually could
just switch off the fear in my brain to deal with those circumstances
better. It was the people I couldn't calm myself down about.

Seahorse