[pct-l] Solo Oregon Section Feedback

Shawna Morris shawnasong at yahoo.com
Mon Jan 2 14:21:13 CST 2012

I have decided to go on a solo trek for about 3-4 weeks along the PCT this year, and I'm looking for some input. There are a couple of factors I'd like to share. I haven't backpacked in 8 years, and consider myself very out of shape (I'm taking measures now regarding that). I am a 41-year-old mother and wife who is in desperate need of a spiritual, physical, and mental overhaul. I am from Oregon, now living in Boulder, CO.

I was thinking that hiking from Ashland to Portland would be a good idea, but I'm looking for input. Oregon draws me for many emotional reasons, having just lost my 64 years' young father there who was a lover of the Great Outdoors. I was also thinking about doing something in the Sierra Nevada would be good, because I have a love affair with granite. I would like to do 1 or 2 town pickups at most, because I know myself that too much town exposure might give me an excuse to *quit*. I have some fear around being by myself. The fear is mainly about being alone in general, and of bears, and crossing ice. I WILL overcome these fears or at least face them, but I just wanted to share some of me while reaching out here for guidance.

I have complete flexibility in the "when" I'm doing this, as well as how long to actually be on the trail. In consideration of my husband, however, 3 weeks seems like just the right amount of time.

I appreciate any feedback.

Shawna

Got Greens Revolution .com
   start a revolution in your body