[pct-l] Thru hiking with a dog

mikey chapman petergrubbfan at gmail.com
Thu Feb 23 10:24:53 CST 2012

Hello Dana, I can see that the thought of leaving your dog at home is
unacceptable. Do some seaching at TRAILJOURNALS,I was just reading an
old journal of a successful hike with a dog,it was actually a pup and
they hid it in there pack when hiking through Yosemite.  Some other
things to consider are,are you planning on staying at trail angels
homes? Is this something that will put them(angels) in a bad spot?
Where will you hide the dog when you check in at motels and such(most
places will see you walking with the dog). You can pretty much say
adios to hostels. Your bear canister must be big to hold your food and
the dogs,or is that gonna be dismissed and overlooked as well.  Will
socal temps be too much for a hairy dog to deal with? Will the dog put
you at risk when on cliff edges? Does the dog have an iceaxe? Will the
dog spook horses? How easy is it to ford a river with the dog? Will it
be harder to get rides or help if needed? For no other reason then
sharp rocks,please bring the dog bootys.  I love my dog enough to only
section hike with her,but I also cant afford to pay giant fines and
get kicked out of national parks. If this law is breakable for
you,what else is?(sorry but hey) I hate to rake you over the coals,but
you asked a question,and its hard to not make it a topic on the
list,and I like to put myself in all shoes when questioning anything
on this listserve. Im sure you will do the right thing,enjoy.