[pct-l] DIY Gear

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Thu Feb 23 09:49:44 CST 2012

Good morning, Todd,

In ’05 I intended to build a G4 because it was a well-accepted design, and
because it could accept a bear ‘can crosswise in the bottom.  Before I
ordered the materials I found, and bought, an older – but un-used -- GVP-4
which was the predecessor of the G4.  In ’07 I used it through the Sierras,
but preferred the smaller Go-Lite Breeze elsewhere.

My observations about the GVP-4/G4 are:

I like the sleeping pad pockets outside the pack.  It makes the pad easy to
remove and sit on during a stop.

For me, the GVP-4 is far too large, and it always hung like any half-empty
sack might.

That bagginess was exacerbated by its poor top securement. I prefer the
option of rolling the top and securing it with a single strap.

The bear ‘can crosswise in the bottom turned out to be the biggest problem:
I didn’t realize until too late that with without padding between the hard
plastic ‘can and the fabric, every time I butt-thumped down a slope –
intentionally or otherwise – the fabric was cut against the ‘can.  It even
happened due to impact with snowpack.  Eventually I learned to spread
something soft in the bottom of the sack before loading the ‘can, but by
then the fabric had been shredded.  After about two weeks the bottom of the
pack was more duct tape than fabric.

I’ve made other gear with good success from various plans, but the best has
been the tarp/poncho from TrailDad:
http://royrobinson.homestead.com/PonchoPlans.html

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye