[pct-l] Maps and Guidebooks

mkwart at gci.net mkwart at gci.net
Tue Feb 21 13:47:48 CST 2012

Hey--I carried Halfmile's maps and Yogi's guidebooks and did carry pages
from the Wilderness Press guidebooks because I liked the descriptions. I
also carried a state road map for hitching reasons and a US Forest
Service map of the National Forest I was in so I could plot alternate
routes off the trail is there was an emergency re-route like a fire--in
2009  a helicopter crash happened near the trail in Southern California
which started a wildfire and I didn't find out about the detour until I
was right up on it. The background topos from the Wilderness press
guidebooks were way out of date, so Halfmile's maps and the Forest
Service map saved me from doing unnecessary miles on a dirt road.

--Fireweed