[pct-l] Alternative sleeping bag idea

Diane at Santa Barbara Hikes dot com diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Feb 20 09:36:56 CST 2012

Twice now on short So Cal winter backpack trips I have brought with
me two sleeping quilts. One is a Golite Ultra 20 and the other is a
Jacks R Better wearable 45 degree quilt. I left my down jacket home.
Instead, I wear the JRB quilt. I have to say that I have never slept
so wonderfully cozy and warm. I can drape the JRB quilt over the
Golite quilt and never experience drafts as I roll around. This is
wonderful. I can get myself up to the level of warmth I feel at home.
Then, since these have been shorter trips with a little more
"camping" than a typical thru-hike, I can wear the quilt in the
evening and morning as we eat and socialize and put things away.
Since I'm pretty short, the JRB quilt is about to my knees, and when
I sit down I can cover my knees with it, making it the warmest
"jacket" I've ever worn camping. The entire length of the PCT I never
wore my down jacket while hiking. I always want to protect my down
from sweat. I think from now on I will stop bringing down jackets
with me entirely and just bring the two quilts.