[pct-l] blister wisdom

juma juma3 at cox.net
Thu Feb 16 08:25:50 CST 2012

I've not had any blisters in years because I listened to experienced
hikers on shoe size.  Still, sometimes with new shoes that fit different
than the last pair, I feel a rub spot.  I immediately apply luekotape.
This stuff sticks like no other.  You'll be lucky to get it off after 3
days, even if fording streams.  If I keep the at-risk area taped I get
no blister and over a week or two a callous forms underneath the tape
and then I can remove the tape and continue the march with no threat of
blister.  As like others, I wear 9-10s normally but 11.5 clown shoes
when hiking.  In summer heat, I wear nylon dress socks.  In colder
weather, I wear medium wool socks or two pair of dress socks.

I section hiked last April from the border up to I-15.  The first nite
at lake morena campground I saw several with feet crammed into too small
a shoe.  Their shoe'd feet looked like sausage stuffed into bursting
skin.  They were hobbling and hitching by the time they hit pioneer
mail.  Beware ye who will not wear big shoes!