[pct-l] Permethrin

aslive at charter.net aslive at charter.net
Mon Feb 13 12:32:37 CST 2012

I have sprayed perethrin (from the 99 Cent Store) on my hiking clothing
for the past several years.  I just hang them on the line or shower pole
and saturate them.  This has worked well for me. I also spray the rim of
my hat and ankle of my shoes or boots.

This brings up another question for me.  For those of you who wear
skirts on the trail, you must be more highly susceptible to flying
insects up under your skirts.  Do you just apply more Diet there, or
change into pants whenever you pass standing water (that would seem to
be a lot of trouble) or what?

Additionally, on the question of eating garlic, I have read that by
staying away from sweet foods while eating foods like garlic or
asparagus, you can change the sugar content of you blood making it less
attractive to the little buggers.  This must be started a couple of
weeks before you expose yourself to the beasts and kept up throughout
your trip.  I tried this once for a trip to Central America.  It seemed
to help a bit but I still used Diet and perethrin as well so...

Shepherd