[pct-l] HYOH

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Sat Feb 11 19:46:31 CST 2012

At 2 lb/day for food or 28 lbs that leaves a base weight of ~ 22 lbs.  A
bit high but not way out of line for most PCT thru hikers.
I'd guess most thrus are between 12 to 18 lb base weight.  They are
generally carrying less at the end of the hike then the beginning.
I recommend starting with whatever you are comfortable with.  Most people
slowly realize that they are carrying things they are not using and discard
them along the way.  This is something everyone has to go through
themselves.

Every year there are folk that show up at the start of the trail with 50+
lb packs and nearly kill themselves at the get go and then finally figure
out what they need to carry for there own comfort level.

I carry much more than most 'ultra lights' but I constantly mentally weigh
everything and evaluate it for carrying potential - This just comes with
the miles.

Kind of funny but if you ever hand something to a thru hike you will notice
them unconsciously weighing it - this is just a conditioned response and
they can not help themselves.  I know for I do the same.

Enjoy your trip - it is a marvelous experience!

Day-Late