[pct-l] Sleeping bag selection. Ahhh!

Jim & Jane Moody moodyjj at comcast.net
Fri Feb 10 19:30:01 CST 2012

Ben,

I have used a 2 5* WM bag on the AT and the southern half of the PCT, including the Sierra in 2010 (not like 2011, but still lots of snow pack).  I added a silk liner for the PCT and the combination was plenty warm for me.  That incl uded sleeping on snow at Ned's Univ. of Snow and in the Sierra.  Th e silk liner is an option that a lot of people don't like and a lot do.  The cleanliness and flexibility on warm nights are its greatest benefits to me.

You also need to factor in the pad(s) you'll be sleeping on.  I carried a cheap closed cell pad and a NeoAir.  The combination was heavier than extreme UL but plenty comfortable and warm at night.  Plus, the cc pad protected the NeoAir from puncture.

The best advice I can give is to try out your complete "system" in different conditions, to see when and if you get cold.  I was able to sleep on the back porch in 20* temps, and got a good test of what it would be like in the Sierra (although I have to put up with ribbing from Shroomer for camping on th e back porch).  Take you r clothes, sleeping pad(s), sleeping bag, and liner (?) to the back yard and try them out.  If you can, try to borrow a sleeping bag from a friend (or maybe rent one if possible from an outfitter) before you buy.

A really high quality bag will be worth the extra money - don't go for cheap, you'll regret it every single night.

Mango