[pct-l] Trail Maintenance

Barry Teschlog tokencivilian at yahoo.com
Wed Feb 8 18:14:57 CST 2012

As a follow up to the earlier post mentioning the Washington Trails Association volunteer maintenance trips on the PCT:

I was informed that WTA now has 2 additional volunteer trail crews that will be put onto the PCT, or PCT feeder trails, in Washington.

June 4th-8th a crew will be working the Suiattle River Trail.  This trail is the access to the PCT just north of the Suiattle River, near Glacier Peak, in Washington.  Recall that this section of the PCT (around Glacier Peak) was officially closed since the old bridge over the Suiattle River was wiped out in 2003, only reopening in the middle of the thru hiker season in 2011.  The new PCT, after crossing the new bridge, now follows part of the Suiattle River trail to connect up with the previous PCT route as it ascends to Miner Pass.

August 14th-19th a crew will be working the new section of the PCT near the new Suiattle River Bridge.  They'll hike in on the Suiattle River trail that the June crew will work.  In talking with a USFS ranger for the area, the new section of the PCT, while built and open, needs some finishing work to bring it fully to standard.

In addition to the above WTA trips, the PCTA sponsored volunteer effort in middle and northern Washington (North 350 Blades) will be expanding again this coming season.  We'll have 3 weekend trips (Friday to Sunday) - one each in July, August and September, plus plenty of single day trips scattered throughout the season, from when the snow melts until it starts falling again.  The "big" weekend projects for the PCTA volunteers will be to build up a new raised trail through a boggy area plus restoration of existing raised trail in the same area, clear a couple mile section of brushy trail with power saws and finally rebuild a failed bridge.  Day trips will focus on log out (with both chain and old school cross cut saws), brushing and working on tread restoration.

Don't live close to the PCT in Washington?  Would rather work the PCT elsewhere?  No problem...there are volunteer crews up and down the length of the PCT.  Join one.  The PCTA can hook you up with your local crew.  No experience is necessary and all tools are provided.

And future thru hikers (as in 2013 and later):  It's in your own best interest to spend some time with your local trail crew.  The work you do will likely directly benefit your future thru hike.  In my case - I was wishing some of the brush we've cut these last couple of years would have been cleared in 2006 - wading through brush in the rain sucks.  Join the trail crew and take care of it ahead of time.