[pct-l] Planning for diabetic hiker

Joe Barbera barberaj at tds.net
Fri Feb 3 02:33:23 CST 2012

Any other Type 1 diabetic hikers out there?  I am planning my thru hike now,
and am struggling with several issues:

1)      How to keep insulin viable during the desert?  What is the coolest
part of the pack?  Away from sun and body heat?

2)      Best carb ratios for meals?   I am finding almost no data on
sustained high output / 4,000 calorie diets     Thinking 50 - 60%.

3)      Continuous monitoring:  I have the Dexcom system, but the patch goes
right where the hip belt goes.  Any alternatives?

Joe B.