[pct-l] Kearsarge Pass

Emily Toby emilytoby at hotmail.com
Fri Feb 3 09:59:17 CST 2012

The grocery store closed several years ago in Independence and the Winnedumah (sp) hotel was also closed last year, because the roof collapsed.  Don't know its current status.
Last summer, this is what a thru hiker could find in Independence:

Post Office - where you can send a resupply package, Mini-market at the Chevron, (but, don't count on being able to resupply there - it is good for snacks and beer, although at least two people I know were able to 'resupply' there when they had some sort of mishap with their other plans, so I guess it is possible since the mini-mart usually carries some freeze-dried mountain house type foods and some real food.)  Subway sandwich shopa very nice, somewhat expensive french restaurant (? - yeah, go figure), Jenny's - a relatively new cafe -open for breakfast, lunch and dinner 6 days a week.
4 small motels in Independence.  The Courthouse Motel is very hiker friendly.  Last year, the owners gave a thru hiker with a serious infection twice daily rides to a clinic in Lone Pine so he could get IV antibiotic treatment for several weeks!
Daily bus service along 395 (during weekdays) that goes north to Bishop and south to Lone Pine three times a day.  Many hikers successfully hitchhiked to these places as well.
And most importantly, Independence throws a great 4th of July party each year. It's almost a requirement for a town with that name!
Do you think I should try to get a job with the Independence Chamber of Commerce?
Uber