[pct-l] Nutrition advice from the ancient Greeks

BF playswmatches at punk.net
Mon Dec 31 11:59:28 CST 2012

Concerning the Spartan Diet:  A Sybarite, who once ate with the Spartans
said: "Now I know why the Spartans do not fear death."

Concerning ingesting large amounts of flax seeds;  I doubt any spartan
lived long enough to be concerned about prostate cancer.  Here's an
interesting article about a possible link between high ALA amounts and
that malignancy.
http://www.livestrong.com/article/409536-flaxseed-oil-and-prostate-cancer-in-men/?utm_source=popslideshow&utm_medium=a1

I know that "proper" trail nutrition is a very complicated issue, but for
me it's just as important as equipment and training.  I'm trying to make
sure that at least half of my daily calorie intake on the trail comes from
organic, raw, whole, vegetable-based food sources.  In addition to dried
fruits, nuts, and the ubiquitous Clif Bar, I gotten turned on to a few
other travel-proof food sources:  Amazing Grass single serving supplement
powders, Navitas Naturals and Mareblu Naturals trail mixes, and ProBar
Whole Food nutrition bars.

Your mileage may vary, I just wanted to point out that they exist and are
worth checking in to.

Cheers,
BF