[pct-l] Food for thru hiking PCT

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Thu Dec 27 21:27:32 CST 2012

You don't want a protein powder.  You almost certainly don't even need to
supplement with protein.  If you're consuming enough calories, you'll be
very hard pressed not to get enormous pro body builder quantities of
protein.  Try doing the math or check out the math I've done a few times on
Whiteblaze and Backpackinglight.

In the past few years, I've spent months on the trail with powdered drinks
as my primary source (2/3rds or more) of macro nutrients.  It's been mostly
cold when I've used powdered drinks.  I bet it'd be nasty on a hot day with
warm water.

As far as flavoring, you can get different flavors.  You don't have to be
stuck with the vanilla and chocolate flavors you find on store shelves.  If
you do go with vanilla, you can blend in other flavoring like Tang,
Gatorade, Electro-mix or Emergen-C.  I've done that many times and love it,
although it sounds disgusting.  I haven't tried it, but the many Kool Aid
flavors should work too, and comes in small individually sold packages.
 For a wider range of flavors, you might have to buy powdered food in
custom blended orders or buy rather large quantities of flavoring on its
own.

Also, if your stomach is great with lactose, then Nestle Nido and flavoring
is a good place to start and stop with powdered food.  It's not enough to
be your entire meal plan, but you'd have to build an awfully good powdered
drink to fully replace solid food.