[pct-l] Food for thru hiking PCT

David Thibault dthibaul07 at gmail.com
Wed Dec 26 14:23:50 CST 2012

I agree with Steel-Eye on this and have found Brenda Braatens site a good
resource for the thru hiker.  The biggest concern I would have is getting
very tired of protein powder to the point of just throwing it away - to the
hiker box.

It is hard to believe that even ravenous thru hikers can get to the point
where you can't eat some things just cause they get sick of them - but it
happens frequently on the trail.  If you haven't done a thru hike before
and do not have experience with figuring out trail meals for 5 to 6 months
at a time I would recommend attempting to get at least half your food along
the way.  This gives you a better chance to mix things up and get those
things your body is really desiring as well as help out local business -
always a good thing to maintain community support for the trail.

I am a relatively picky eater in that I find the typical thru hikers diet
to be way too loaded with junk foods (ramen anyone) so I do send packages
to get the things I know I can't get in the small towns.  Things like dried
vegetables, Nido Milk powder, and some dried meals I know I like,  but
there is really no reason to send yourself things like candy, nuts,
liptons, ramen, or most packaged boxed meals as these are readily available
at most towns.  I don't use protein powder but would except it is available
in any of the bigger resupply towns.

I do remember seeing a fair amount of protein powder finding its way into
hiker boxes.

Day-Late