[pct-l] Tarptent Rainbow - questions

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Tue Dec 25 22:38:20 CST 2012

Good evening, Anne,

I can’t help with the plastic thingie, but maybe I can with the pegs and
cord.  First, I rarely erect any kind of shelter, preferring instead to
sleep under the stars.  I almost never carry a full complement of pegs for
whatever tent or tarp I’m using – maybe half or two thirds of what’s
recommended -- preferring instead to attach my lines to local features or
vegetation, i.e. rocks, trees, bushes, etc.  That’s particularly true for
the primary lines out the front and the rear of the shelter.  Those I try
to tie out nearly horizontally to a tree or a bush, thereby removing much
of the downward line force from the tent pole or trekking pole that holds
the thing up.  Often when I can use trees to install those lines at
sufficient upward angle I can entirely dispense with one or both poles.  The
ability to be erected in that way will depend upon how the particular
shelter is made.

What I typically use for line is a product called “Triptease” by Kelty.
http://www.kelty.com/p-136-triptease-lightline.aspx  It is light, strong,
it is easy to see with some ambient or any artificial light, but it is a
bit expensive.  It should be available in San Diego before you depart.  Other
than that, standard 1/8” parachute cord – “paracord” – is as common as
gravel, very inexpensive, and only slightly heavier.

Enjoy your planning,

Steel-Eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/steel-eye

http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/