[pct-l] Draft 2 of PCT 2012 thru-hikers list

Charles Doersch charles.doersch at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 11:14:11 CST 2012

The PCT class of 2012 have been working with me on compiling this DRAFT
list of confirmed PCT 2012 thru-hikers. This is a work in progress. I
thought I'd share this draft with the PCT-L in case any of these
thru-hikers or possibly section hikers follow the PCT-L and might want to
contact me with their information: charles.doersch at gmail.com

The PCT in 2012 saw unprecedented numbers of hikers attempting to thru-hike
(about 31% increase in number of permits issued over 2011; one *very rough
estimate *suggests as many as 900 people may have stepped onto the trail in
2012 intending to thru-hike). This year also saw large numbers of hikers
deciding to quit the trail (I’ve read the journals). And yet 2012 saw the
highest number of successful thru-hikes on the PCT.

Out of the 480+ hikers (section-hikers and thru’s) who are variously
recorded as having completed the PCT in 2012, I’ve included 433 here
(section hikers removed to a different list). So far, 334 hikers have been
confirmed as thru-hikers. The blue check-marks indicate the information and
confirmation derives in some way from that thru-hiker himself/herself
either through direct communication, or by their Facebook page, or by their
online journal/blog, or the details of their register inscription, etc. The
yellow check-marks indicate the information/confirmation derives from
people other than that thru-hiker. So if a hiker provides name, dates, or
thru-hiker status for someone else, that name gets marked yellow. [So blue
= firm, and yellow = reported].***

We still have on this list many hikers with question marks by their names.
That means it’s unclear whether they were section hikers who completed the
trail, or whether they were thru-hikers, or something in between (e.g.,
intended thru-hikers who had to skip sections because of, say, fires and
decided to wait until another year to complete). And then, some names
aren’t even on this list and should be. Not everyone signed registers, and
many pages of the final register are missing. If thru-hiker friends contact
friends to get the word out on this list, we can get more of these hikers
confirmed one way or the other. What these hikers have achieved on the PCT
this summer – whether as section or thru – is nothing less than titanic.

Cheers,

Pan (2012) of the Gay Caballeros

*** "PCT thru-hiker" for the purposes of this list is understood to mean
the hiker hiked the entire way Campo-to-Canada. No skips.