[pct-l] Resupply points

Timothy Nye timpnye at gmail.com
Thu Dec 13 15:53:36 CST 2012

Let me chime in here as well.  A negative from my point of view is that you may not have access to hiker boxes to scavenge other people's discards.  These can serve as a valuable supplement if you are this limited albeit necessarily hit or miss.  Further, they allow you the latitude to exchange food you no longer find palatable with other options.  It's amazing how quickly peanut butter can become revolting when it's an integral part of your diet.

Also, my own experience is that I NEVER have been able to correctly plan in advance the correct amount of food I should be taking.  I always seem to take too much initially and have to refine my food bag content as I go along.  See 'hiker boxes' above.  If you estimate too much food then you'll wind up discarding supplies you could have used later on further up the trail.

The trick, in my opinion, is to reach your next resupply with only, but at least, one or two extra meals. This way you're not carrying excess weight yet still have a margin.  The reduction of resupply points, makes this problematic.  Generally, each resupply is at a pass which means you're carrying a full resupply uphill.

Just a few thoughts.

Gourmet

Sent from my iPad