[pct-l] "Am Lost"

Halmargolis at aol.com Halmargolis at aol.com
Sat Dec 8 13:07:47 CST 2012

In a message dated 12/8/2012 10:00:09 A.M. Pacific Standard Time,
pct-l-request at backcountry.net writes:

After  reading Reinhold's description of being lost, I feel compelled to
add one to  the collection.  I discovered the TWO conditions  that must occur
(at least for me) to be actually LOST.   (1) It's not just being bewildered
by not knowing where  you are, but also (2) when you can't at first figure
'which  way to go.  One of the other happens countless times on the  PCT. But
the two together, Ugh!  With me it was waiting for dawn, seeing  a peak
momentarily through an opening in the clouds, warming up my  frozen-over
compass, taking a bearing, pulling out a map,  taking another bearing and walking
to a trail leading to Idylwild.   I wonder if anyone else got LOST and what
brilliant,  fortunate or opportune measures were taken? Hal "Green Hornet"
Margolis