[pct-l] Stove or no stove?

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Mon Dec 3 19:39:28 CST 2012

A friend of mine made tiny little stick fires for cooking. He used a
titanium pot. Fires aren't a good idea in all places and in some
places they are banned. Other friends of mine did the whole CDT no-
cook. They made all kinds of dehydrated veggies and meat and would
rehydrate them one meal in advance and just eat them cold. They also
did oatmeal with lots of nuts and fruits this way. I've tried this
method and it's very tasty. One of them even made yogurt in his
sleeping bag every night out of powdered milk. In addition to this
they ate lots of cheese and summer sausage, peanut butter and other
foods you can eat cold. If you try this no-cook method, be advised
that pasta doesn't work. Hard grains and lentils won't work.
Dehydrated (minute) rice will probably work. Dehydrated cooked mashed
sweet potatoes pulverized in your blender work great and taste better
than regular dehydrated mashed potatoes.