[pct-l] Gadgets != "heavy trucking"

Craig Giffen cg at lunky.com
Sun Dec 2 13:26:30 CST 2012

> In my defense, while not a true ultralighter (few I think really are), my
> base weight is in the pretty sensible range,
> .. So cut us geeks some slack, eh?   ;-)

Needs also change over time too.  I mean, check out this PCT gear list from the 1940's:
http://pcttrailway.pctplanner.com/pg053.html

Keep in mind that if you use the new Army outfit you can get your total pack weight down to about 52 pounds!  I wonder who the last hiker was to ever carry spare hobnails on a thru hike.

I see you on the geek thing, when I did my Australia bike trip in 2002, I was carrying 5 laptop batteries, 24aa batteries, a digital camera, a cd burner, an mp3 player, (160 megs of storage!), related chargers, a gps, and a five pound laptop.  On my '96 PCT hike I think the only excessive tech-ish thing I had was a bag of about 20 mix tapes and my walkman.

Craig

p.s. sorry, I had to change the syntax to a different programming language :)