[pct-l] Bear Spray and Snow

Diane Soini of Santa Barbara Hikes diane at santabarbarahikes.com
Sat Dec 1 13:39:57 CST 2012

Oh, so I should worry and fret and carry pepper spray because of what
happens in some national park where people are storing their food
improperly all the time and chasing bears around with cameras to try
and get a good story to tell their friends at home?

The reality of the PCT is not like a national park or a tv nature
documentary. The reality is you carry a bear can in the areas where
it's required and probably don't see any bears there outside the car
camps. Then the rest of the time you don't have trouble with them
because they run away as soon as they see you. Sounds sanguine but
it's just how it is. No need to stir up fear when it's not really
needed (oh wait, it's the PCT-L and winter, sorry, carry on.)