[pct-l] hike cost

dm at quixnet.net dm at quixnet.net
Fri Aug 31 17:45:09 CDT 2012

I just saw a post that gave a low-dollar cost for a thru-hike at $500.
SURELY they must mean just extra money spent on the hike on zero days, not
the overall cost.  Can you eat 5,000 calories a day for $3?  No way.

Will someone please post their OVERALL cost for thru-hiking?  I am a novice
planning a thru-hike in 2013.  That means I have to buy almost all the gear
PLUS trail food, transportation from MO, etc.  I'm guessing it will be
somewhere between $5,000 and $10,000.   I would love to be wrong as I am on
social security and it ain't much!

An honest, reasonable answer would be appreciated!

Dwane Koppler