[pct-l] Creatine

Sir Mixalot atetuna at gmail.com
Thu Aug 30 05:26:13 CDT 2012

Creatine largely comes from eating meat, so the long term concerns wouldn't
be from creatine, but from the delivery system.

GI problems, if they happen, will almost certainly be eliminated by trying
a different form of creatine, although prices rise quickly outside of
creatine monohydrate.  The only creatine that's ever caused me digestive
problems was in the early days of creatine supplements.

Creatine has had a lot of research done on it.  There are books about it.
 Plenty of science behind it.  I wouldn't call science "snake oil".

Creatine is very inexpensive, and a very small amount goes a very long
way.  While it may help with energy levels, I think the bigger advantage is
that it has been shown to greatly slow muscle wasting.  It has virtually no
downside, and a pretty big up side.

If you're already taking vitamins or using some type of powder, go ahead
and use creatine too.  If it's a hassle to consume, or if $20 a year is too
great a financial burden, or if you already consume plenty of red meat or
fish on the trail, then I wouldn't bother as you can still succeed without
it.  Personally, I already consume powders as a big part of my trail diet,
thus my trail name.  I'll probably add it in the future because (1) I
already use it when I lift, and (2) the downside is minimal while the
upside is substantial.

If you decide to use it, don't wait until just before your trip.  Start
using it during training so you have time to learn if it gives you GI
problems, and to explore using a different form of creatine. Also, it'd be
pretty bad if you were planning on doing mail drops and had already mailed
off food with creatine that doesn't agree with your digestive system.