[pct-l] Washington

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Sun Aug 26 13:29:52 CDT 2012

Good morning, Miles,

There’s a chance – all be it slim indeed – that you could cover that
distance in superb, bright, crisp autumn weather, but you are well advised
to prepare for rain in general, and some wet slop-snow in the higher
elevations.  I experienced a near-zero visibility snowstorm south of Mt.
Jefferson on 31 August 1999.  Most of the early snow melts to slop fairly
quickly, but the aggravation is slogging and route finding through
knee-deep fluff until it does melt.

Most likely it’ll just be rainy.  Maybe, as in the more moderate seasons, a
weather front will move through and you’ll walk in the rain for only a few
hours or a few days, but it’s also possible – and even probable – that the
clouds will just settle in and it’ll rain all the time.  Roll the dice…

Some of my rainy thoughts are at:
http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=265651

Enjoy your hike,

Steel-Eye