[pct-l] Northern Cascades Bear Safety Advice

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Mon Aug 20 21:59:02 CDT 2012

You'll be lucky if you see a bear, or bears.  If you start hiking at
first light you might see them feeding on ridges across creek valleys.
You might turn the corner on the trail and see one grubbing a log,
minding its business, snorting and snuffing and pushing and pulling.
Make a noise, and s/he'll bolt and be gone in the wink of an eye.  If
the berries are out and you're among them, walk softly and you might see
one, or as I did, four, sitting back, stripping the berries into their
mouths, and chewing with a far off look in their eye.

If it's in the park bears aren't hunted.  If it's outside the park
boundaries, they are hunted.  The difference is hunted bears shun
humans.  Inside they might see you and not bolt as quickly.  The trail
is in the park only for a while south of Rainy Pass.  I forget if bears
are hunted in the National Recreation Area. Because it's so densely
thick in this area, there are only a few camping areas, and the bears
know of them.  I only hung my food for the one night I spent before
spending two nights at Stehekin Ranch, eating all I could eat (within
reason).  North of there I didn't worry and slept with my food.

There are grizzly alerts and they shut down whole sections of trail, but
this doesn't happen very often, and I've never heard of it happening
outside the park.  I did a three day hike over Hannegan Pass on the west
side of the park to copper ridge/mountain and the trail had only just
been opened.  Bears are hunted where the PCT goes through the
Pasaytens.  They are afraid of us...

Just my experience and opinion...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD