[pct-l] Tahoe Rim Trail vs JMT

Reinhold Metzger reinholdmetzger at cox.net
Tue Aug 14 13:44:18 CDT 2012

[pct-l] I'm back from the Tahoe Rim Trail

Brick, congrats....
However, I think a better "warm up hike" to try out for the PCT would be
to hike the "JMT"...Yosemite to Whitney Portal (222 miles) to get a true
feeling of what "THE BEAST"..(PCT) is all about.
Of course, that is only my opinion and everybody knows I'm prejudice...
after all, the JMT is my baby.

WORD OF WARNING....the "JMT" is like a beautiful women and once bitten,
forever hooked.
I know, I got bitten in 1996 and every summer since she has been calling me.

JMT Reinhold
Your hopelessly in love with the JMT trail companion
-------------------------
Brick wrote:
If anyone wants a short "warm up hike" to try out their PCT
strategies, I think this is a good hike. There are planning issues,
mail drops, permits, bears & water issues.

At 165 miles, it is doable in a week at thru hike daily mileages, and
there is easy exit almost everywhere if things go badly. I was able to
average 23 miles a day out of the trailhead, with only a few blisters,
and a loss of 8lbs to show for it. I'm sure the weight will be back
before the blisters heal.

And I am still in shock about AsABat.