[pct-l] Third gate Water Caches

Jeffrey Olson jolson at olc.edu
Fri Aug 10 22:41:03 CDT 2012

AT the risk of creating ire and bad vibes I would vote to NOT provide
water (or routine trail angel) support anywhere on the trail.  I know
I'm probably a minority opinion, but I want to express it regardless.

As part of a circumambulation of the Ritter Range and Minarets starting
and ending at Tuolomne in mid-june, we hiked 35 miles on the PCT.  We
ran into 40 or so thru-hikers in three days.  One of them said there
were 600 permits issued and 400 hikers on the trail in a standard normal
curve covering two or three weeks.  We hadn't run into the "herd" - they
were still coming.  I don't know how accurate these numbers are.

I'm all for people envisioning a dream and then planning well enough to
carry it out.  A couple 35 mile stretches of trail w/o water is part of
the hike, part of the planning.  "What do I do?" "How do I carry this
off?"  It's like getting caught in a snow storm going down the knife
edge in the Goat Rocks.  You deal with it and move on.

But I'll tell you, running into 40 thru-hikers in three days had me run
the gamut of valorizing their effort with the first couple, to ignoring
the rest when they occurred often enough to seem like ants.

I got lambasted a couple months ago for telling a story that attempted
to be humorous about trail angels.  The underlying theme was threatening
I guess.  I'll just baldly state it so there's no misunderstanding.
Non-hiker supports on the trail move a thru- or long section-hike into
the realm of possibility for more people. I don't think this is
desireable or good.

When I first started doing section hikes in the early 90s a trail angel
was someone who out of the blue, while in the midst of their own life,
helped out a hiker.  They didn't carry hundreds of gallons of water or
put coolers of pop and beer near road crossings.  I don't disparage 21st
century trail angels motivation.  Those I've met have been warm and
caring people.

My point is not to punch trail angels in the gut.  My point is that
doing the trail on the trails terms is an important part of the vision.
If I think I can count on water someone put somewhere, then I'm not
hiking the trail on its own terms.

I used to think that hiking in loose groups was somehow not "true" long
distance hiking.  You had to do it on your own - to challenge  yourself,
to feel the deep emotions that wanted you to leave the trail and go
home.  Now I realize I don't like hiking alone, and would only consider
my next long hike if it involves people.  To someone dedicated to hiking
alone, my perspective involves not hiking the trail on its own merits.

This is an opinion.  Feel free to disagree.  Just don't get all negative
on me.  If your ire raises, just ignore this perspective.  It's just one
person's opinion...

Jeffrey Olson
Rapid City, SD

What I have stated in my earlier post is very much the case. If
thru-hikers were my self sufficient there would not be a need for a
water cache at both Scissors Crossing and 3rd gate. It is very realistic
that hikers can make the journey between SC and Barrel Springs without
the 3rd gate cache. Every one out there should be able to plan and carry
enough water to go 23 miles, even if this takes 1-2 days. I was not
critical of the volunteers that have done so much to maintain this cache
in the past, but there are other options and what I suggested is just
one that does in fact have merit.