[pct-l] Third gate Water Caches

Hootie Martin hootie2006 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 10 20:25:06 CDT 2012

Anne Marie,

Get a grip and some facts? Excuse me, but I was simply responding to a
post from Gary earlier this week when he suggested a different
alternative to the request for new volunteers to take over for the
those that have been hauling water up to 3rd gate for years.

I understand very well that this is no easy feat to haul 300 gallons
of water up there.  That was not the focus of my email.  What I
suggested was a very viable alternative, based on my thru-hike
experience and that of many others that have hiked the trail in the
past.

So, to suggest I get a grip is BS, so back off before say something
that will get me moderated once again.

What I have stated in my earlier post is very much the case.  If
thru-hikers were my self sufficient there would not be a need for a
water cache at both Scissors Crossing and 3rd gate.  It is very
realistic that hikers can make the journey between SC and Barrel
Springs without the 3rd gate cache.  Every one out there should be
able to plan and carry enough water to go 23 miles, even if this takes
1-2 days.

I was not critical of the volunteers that have done so much to
maintain this cache in the past, but there are other options and what
I suggested is just one that does in fact have merit.

I don't mind if you disagree, but lady back off in telling me to get a
grip and facts.

Elevator

As one who has helped them this past year, I truly salute them for
getting that water to where it is definitely needed and wanted.

It's a thankless job, despite the few journal entries giving them
thanks. These people give up their whole morning (in my case most of
my day, with traffic
or more,) not to mention the extra time it takes to purchase or order
the water gallons in advance.

A debate is going on now to determine how best to continue this
service to the hikers. No one is even considering asking the hikers to
carry their own water from Scissors Crossing to 3rd gate or Barrel
Spring. At most, this discussion is centering on asking the hikers to
walk down the hill to where the "cache" is being dropped, a 1/4 mile
one way.

Get a grip and some facts.