[pct-l] Start Location and Hiking Partner?

Kelly Dugger kellyndugger at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 23:54:30 CDT 2012

Hi everyone,
I've loved reading all the topics as I'm preparing for my hike this
summer!  Thanks for all the great advice so far.  I have 2 information
requests from the community please:

Advice on starting location:
I can't start my hike until June 16, and I'm planning on ending in
Portland.  Since I'm starting solo, I want to be close to the main group of
thru hikers.  I was thinking about starting in Kennedy Meadows, but I
thought maybe I should start in Tehachapi to harden up my feet, fine tune
my skills, etc before starting into the Sierras.  Will I be too far behind
if I do this? Or will I be fine starting off fresh at Kennedy Meadows?  I
have been working out and training, but I am not in great shape.
Thoughts?  Recommendations?

Hiking Partner:
I know I've heard many responses that assure me that I will find a hiking
partner or group, but as I am a 28 year old female hiking solo, I'm a
little nervous about it!  I'd like to find someone who will be in Kennedy
Meadows around the same time as me so I can have a partner to tackle the
first part of the Sierras with.  Depending on when I start, I should be at
Kennedy Meadows sometime between June 16-25.  Anyone planning on being in
the area around then?  Shoot me an email if you are! kellyndugger at gmail.com

Thanks!!