[pct-l] FW: Special Notice to Wilderness Users

CHUCK CHELIN steeleye at wildblue.net
Mon Apr 30 14:47:11 CDT 2012

 <http://www.trailjournals.com/SteelEye09/>

Good afternoon, All,

A heavy snow-year in the Cascades creates a quadruple-whammy for trail
maintenance managers, leaders, crews, and support people such as packers:

1)  Due to the lingering snow, maintenance people get a late start in
walking the trail to count, size, and locate down timber on the map.

2)  Back in the office, more-than-average time is necessary to estimate and
prioritize the work, then allocate crew labor and equipment.

3)  Once the work begins – better late than never – it takes longer through
the summer season to actually accomplish the higher-than-average workload.

4)  Because log-out gets a higher priority, more routine tread maintenance
must be delayed – probably until that mysterious and elusive time called
“next year”.

In the Mt. Hood area, for safety we on trail crews are required to stop
work, ground our tools, and get off the trail when hikers pass.  During a
busy period with lots of hikers the efficiency of work plummets for that
reason.  As you pass, at least say “thank you” for all their sweat.

Steel-Eye