[pct-l] Satellite Radio for a Thru-Hike

Gary Wright gwtmp01 at mac.com
Sun Apr 29 20:20:50 CDT 2012

On Apr 29, 2012, at 3:44 PM, ned at mountaineducation.org wrote:

> Charlie,
>
> Mountain Education uses them on all our skills training courses and the
> Iridium performs flawlessly. We have been very thankful to have one along as
> it has come in handy calling in medical evacs in the past. Nothing like a
> little voice communication out of the back country to allay fears and
> concerns!

The original poster was asking about satellite radio (i.e. Sirius XM), which
is not the same thing as satellite phone (i.e. Iridium).

I have no idea how well a satellite radio would work on the trail. Most
satellite radios are designed to be powered by your car or home electrical
system so it might be difficult finding something more mobile with a good
battery life.

Radar