[pct-l] Average Pack Weight on PCT

giniajim jplynch at crosslink.net
Thu Apr 26 08:21:04 CDT 2012

I was at a hiking lecture a year or so ago.  The person who was giving the
talk was a long-time expert backpacker.  She (I think it was a she, might
have been Susan Alcorn) said that the key for light weight is to start off
getting your "Big Three" under control.  For her, this mean two pounds each
for: tent, sleeping bag and pack.
    And then another key thing is to look at your gear after a trip. What
did you not use?  Would you be comfortable with taking it off your gear list
for next time?